Friday, September 19, 2008

I "Heart" Hatch, NM Green Chile

Some people might be scared if they received a box from the UPS man and it contained a mysterious burlap bag. Hmm, what could it be? Body Parts, Roadkill...



Courtesy of Willie's Uncle Sonny, who lives in Mimbres, New Mexico, it is a large burlap bag filled with yummy Hatch, New Mexico green chile peppers!!! Hatch is known as the chile capital of the world.

Normally, Willie roasts our chile peppers on the BBQ before placing portions in ziploc bags and freezing it. This time, I think we're going to try roasting our chile peppers Pioneer Woman style, in the oven. It has to be roasted quickly or the chile will turn red. Did you know that chile peppers have a lot of nutritional value?

This is what chile looks like after it is roasted. The black, icky looking part is the skin which you peel off to get to the yummy fleshy part. Once you've had fresh green chile, you'll have a hard time eating canned green chiles again. The salsa my husband makes with this chile absolutely ROCKS MY WORLD!!!

If you are a local friend and would like to try some Hatch, NM chiles, let me know. As you can see, we have plenty to go around!





8 comments:

Tina Schiefer said...

Fresh salsa is the best! I love, love, love fresh salsa and warm chips! Even the bagged chips are good warmed in the oven on low broil, just to brown the edges.

Yummy!

Tina

jellybean78 said...

I could eat chips and salsa for breakfast lunch and dinner! In fact, I just bought ingredients to make some this weekend. :-)

Sarah said...

Oh fun! I am so jealous that I am not a local friend!!! :)

Jennifer said...

Okay - now raw pork and cooked green chili's are freaking me out. Am I pregnant?......NOOOOO!!!

The Foster Family said...

I have been so busy lately I haven't checked in on you in awhile. I'm sure everyone has stopped checking on me- hoping to update as soon as I stop checking up on everyone else! BTW- I saw your poll over on the left- it has already closed, but I can't even believe it's up for questioning! Just come- it's going to be alot of fun! And I'd love to see you especially! So what do you do with all your green chili's? Hope to see you next month!

Casey said...

E just made Salsa last night- he sticks his chilis in the oven, too. He makes Salsa about once a month- depends on how fast I chow down on it and how hot he makes it. He likes his so hot his nose runs- me not like that

Anonymous said...

Dang I wish we lived close!

thetinylittlegirl said...

are they super hot?