Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Spicy Shredded Pork

This picture of raw pork is for my friend Jennifer, who I barely talk to these days because she and I are leading parallel lives as Moms who work part-time AND try to do everything we did before we had jobs.

Ok, so here's the real story about the raw pork. I decided to make a recipe I found over at The Pioneer Woman's website. In case it turned out great, I thought I'd take pictures and possibly post about it. In my typical adult ADD fashion, I took the first picture and then forgot to take the rest of the series. Too bad I didn't because the recipe turned out to be one of the best I've ever made. It's called Spicy Shredded Pork. Just click here for the recipe and photographs of the finished product.

I did a few things differently and I just won't be happy until I mention them. First of all, I didn't use the optional brown sugar that The Pioneer Woman likes to use. Second, I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear that I cooked my pork in the slow cooker (a.k.a. crockpot) instead of in the oven. Lastly, after I shredded up the meat, I fried it in olive oil to crisp it up and served it as carnitas. Willie loves carnitas and you may recall from an earlier post that he doesn't hand out food compliments easily. Compliments are earned in the Ramirez kitchen, not given away freely so I am especially proud to say that this meal earned the Willie stamp of approval.

Jennifer really does like raw pork portraits, especially raw pork that looks like somebody threw up on it! So I'm posting this...just for her. I love you Jennifer!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hahahaha!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!! Thanks for the props Aimee! That's so funny because as I was scrolling down I thought "Oh no!! Another raw pork picture!" and then I saw my name at the bottom!!! You and your raw pork!!! But in all seriousness, I will have to try this recipe! Especially since I will now be cooking 7 nights a week!!!

American Homemaker said...

Your pork pic cracked me up

Connie Z. said...

i googled Pioneer Woman Spicy Pork slow cooker and found this old post of yours. Do you remember putting anything different in there?

kcaimee said...

Connie, I didn't put in the optional brown sugar and I used a slow cooker. I've made the recipe several times since and it's always good. I highly recommend it.