Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Moms in minivans don't get pulled over for speeding.

I have lots of stories to tell about my fun weekend in Phoenix. In an effort not to neglect my children and in hopes of working through the mountain of laundry after being gone for 3 days, I'll probably spread the stories out over the next week or so, but here's the one I've decided to start with. When I went to pick up my cheap compact rental car on Friday evening, I was starting to feel a little spunky. After all, I'm looking at 3 days without my kids in a warm climate AND I'm going to a bachelorette party! So, when the guy at the counter asked me if, for an additional $10/day, I'd like a sporty little convertible, the answer was not just, "yes", it was more like, "YES!".

As the weekend passed, I joked with people about how I am having to be very careful not to speed because people in red sports cars get pulled over all the time for speeding, unlike Moms in minivans. I even bragged to a few people about how you can go 100 m.p.h. in a minivan and still not get pulled over. I'm not going to tell you whether I know that from personal experience.

Have you ever heard that expression, "What goes around, comes around?"...





Imagine, if you will, the humiliation of being pulled over and ticketed for speeding, directly across the street from your place of employment. And, of course that place of employment would happen to the be the ultra conservative school district. Then, take it another step further and imagine that your boss sits in front of the window and has a great view of you sheepishly signing for the aforementioned speeding ticket. Yep, that was me this morning, on my first day back to work, less than 24 hours after returning that pretty little red sports car! At least I can proudly say that it's my first speeding ticket in the minivan and I've been driving it for over 6 years.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Kelly Warren said...

You know what? Now that I think about it, I have not been pulled over since I became one of those "Moms driving a minivan"! And I must admit I have a lead foot! Oh how I miss my little 2-seater Nissan 300ZX. I finally realized I had to sell it when I couldn't figure out how to strap two car seats in the back. :-) One day I'll have another little two-seater sports car... Sorry for your ticket, but glad you had a fun weekend!

Shauna said...

How funny! I used to brag about not being pulled over in my station wagon but that was short lived. Yes, I used to drive a station wagon - it was a cool one though! Oh - I want to go ahead and declare you the president of the See My designs fan club. we will discuss duties later!

also known as shell said...

I haven't gotten a speeding ticket. But got a hefty ticket about a year ago for rolling through a red light turning right. Lame. How fast were you going?

Cheri w/ a "C" said...

Oh my! I can honestly say I've been pulled over many a time... with no ticket to prove it! Just smile and admit that you were speeding because your 3yo is being potty trained and you needed to get to the nearest toilet! oh wait... I no longer have a 3yo! need a new 'reason' for the need to speed!